For more information about this area, please feel free to E-mail us!
About East Berlin Connecticut:
Berlin is a town in Hartford County, Connecticut, United States. The population was 18,215 at the 2000 census. It is home to the geographic center of Connecticut. It was incorporated in 1785. Berlin is residential and industrial. Berlin includes the hamlets of Kensington, South Kensington, and East Berlin. There are 3 elementary schools, Mary E. Griswold School, Emma Hart Willard School, and Richard D. Hubbard School, as well as Catherine M. McGee Middle School, and Berlin High School.
The greatest boom to Berlin industry resulted from the decision of the Patterson brothers to start their business on West Street (now called Lower Lane). For twenty years until 1760, they kept their work in the family selling their wares from a basket. When demand increased they took apprentices into the shop and engaged peddlers to travel throughout the Colonies selling the shiny, useful articles.
The Town Seal was adopted from this "The Yankee Peddler" outfitted in his revolutionary dress with a basket under his arm, a pack on his back full of tin ware. As others learned the trade, they soon set up shop and hired apprentices. There were so many that the noise of the white smiths and their banging could be heard in every part of town.
Most content provided by Wikipedia, "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin%2C_Connecticut"