For more information about this area, please feel free to E-mail us!
About Windsor Connecticut:
Windsor was the first English settlement in the State of Connecticut, the 5th Colony to receive Statehood in the USA. Windsor is a suburban community in Hartford County, adjacent to the north to Connecticut's Capital, Hartford, with a relatively diverse population.
Poquonock is a northern area of Windsor that has its own zip code (06095) for PO Box purposes. Other areas in Windsor, which are not incorporated, include Rainbow and Hayden in the north, and Wilson and Deerfield in the south.
The Day Hill Road area is know as Windsor's Corporate Area, although other centers of business include Kennedy Industry Park and Kennedy Business Park, both near Bradley International Airport and the Addison Road Industrial Park.
Windsor was formerly known for its thriving tobacco farms, some of which still exist today. Tobacco grown here beneath a netting of gauze approximates the humidity and growing conditions of Honduras. Windsor tobacco leaves are highly prized by fine cigar makers, and are used as the cigar's outer wrapping, called Broad Leaf or Shade Tobacco. Occasionally, teenagers will climb on top of the shade tobacco gauze, a popular phenomenon that is known locally as "net hopping."
A small party of settlers from Plymouth, Massachusetts, founded a trading post at Windsor after the Podunk Indians invited them to provide a mediating force between other tribes, and granted them a plot of land. After Edward Winslow from Plymouth inspected the site, William Holmes led a small party there. This initial group arrived at Windsor on September 26, 1633, settling at the confluence of the Farmington and the west side of the Connecticut Rivers. They were about 50 miles up river at the end of ship navigable waters and above the Dutch fort at Hartford. They were in a good position to trade with the Indians before the Dutch.
More settlers arrived in 1635 led by the Revs Maverick and Warham with about 60 people who trekked overland from Dorchester, Massachusetts where they had first settled after coming on the ship "Mary and John" to the New World from Plymouth, England in 1630. More settlers from Dorchester moved to Windsor in the next few years. Out numbering the original settlers they soon displaced the original Plymouth settlers, who mostly returned to Plymouth.
Native Americans referred to the area as Matianuck. (book- "Dorset Pilgrims" by Frank Thistlewaite) Reverend Warham renamed the settlement Dorechester in 1635. In 1637, the colony's General Court changed the name to Windsor. 
Windsor's name is believed to be named after the city of Windsor England on the Thames River. Windsor is believed to be a corruption of the Saxon words 'windlass Oran' meaning a bank of a river with a windlass. The name of Windsor derives from Windlesore, or 'Winding Shores' where boats were pulled by windlass ('windles') up the river. As with all such names that date back many centuries, there are other claims as to the derivation of the name. It has also been thought that the name derived from 'winding' meaning 'meandering' shores. A third school of thought stemmed from the belief that the name derived from 'a sore wind' referring to the wind that blew across the mound upon which Windsor Castle, England was built but this fails on chronological grounds. 
Several towns that border Windsor were once entirely or partially part of Windsor including: Windsor Locks; South Windsor; East Windsor; Ellington, (which was later part of East Windsor); and Bloomfield, (originally called "Wintonbury"; a composite of the town names Windsor, Farmington and Simsbury). 
The first "highway" in Connecticut opened in 1638 between Windsor and Hartford. As other towns were settled further up the Connecticut river like Springfield, Massachusetts and Northampton, Massachusetts trading routes were extended to all of them. Hartford & Springfield Street Railway connected with the Conn. Co. in Windsor Center until 1925. Buses replaced trolleys between Rainbow (a northern section of Windsor) and Windsor Center in 1930; cars continued to run from Windsor to Hartford until 1940. 
These original Windsor settlers have many descendants around the country and beyond. Many are members of The Descendants of the Founders of Ancient Windsor (DFAW) based in the Windsor area.