For more information about this area, please feel free to E-mail us!
About Windsor Locks Connecticut:
Windsor Locks is situated on the Connecticut River. The town is named after a set of canal locks that opened in 1829 and formed part of the Enfield Falls Canal that circumvented nearby shallows on the river. Windsor Locks is the site of Bradley International Airport, which houses the New England Air Museum. One-third of the town's area consists of the airport.
Until 2000, Windsor Locks was home to the oldest corporation listed on the New York Stock Exchange, The Dexter Corporation. Established in 1767 as C.H. Dexter and Sons, the company grew from a family-owned saw and grist mill and evolved into a multi-national producer of long fiber papers and chemical laminates. In its 233 years of operation, the company grew from manufacturing tissues, toilet paper, and tea bags to marketing more specialized products like medical garments and industrial finishes. Faced with a proposed buyout by International Specialty Products Incorporated in 2000, the Dexter Corporation separated its three divisions and sold them off to avoid a hostile takeover. The Life Sciences division merged with Invitrogen Corporation. The Specialty Polymers division was sold in part to Akzo Nobel, and the remaining businesses merged with Loctite Corporation. The third division, Dexter Nonwoven Materials, located on the company's original site in Windsor Locks, was sold to the Finnish Ahlstrom Paper Group. The physical plant was expected to continue operating, but the corporate headquarters were closed.
In 1952 Hamilton Standard opened its aircraft propeller plant in Windsor Locks. In 1999, Hamilton Standard merged with Sundstrand Corporation to become Hamilton Sundstrand, which is headquartered in Windsor Locks.